Schedule of the Doctoral School enrolment procedure:registration in IRK:
- registration in the Internet Registration of Candidates, referred to as “IRK”, submitting an application to the IRK for admission to the Doctoral School of Social Sciences: from 5th of May to 28th of June 2020;
- recruitment procedure
- I st stage of the recruitment procedure: 1-7 July, 2020,
- announcement of result of the I st stage of recruitment: 9 July 2020,
- publication of interview schedule (II stage): 9 July 2020,
- II nd stage of the recruitment procedure: 17 – 24 July 2020,
- announcement of the ranking list: 28 July 2020,
- accepting documents from qualified candidates: 28 July – 18 September, 2020,
- announcement of the list of accepted candidates: 21 September 2020.
Form of the selection procedure:
- Stage I: evaluation of the research project and scientific activities of the candidate;
- Stage II: interview.
Maximum number of points that can be obtained in the selection procedure – 100 points:
- Stage I – 60 points (the number of points needed to qualify to stage II – 30 points).
- Stage II – 40 points.
Language of the enrolment procedure, including interviews:
The interview shall be carried out in Polish with parts in English or fully in English – in accordance with the candidate’s preferences presented in IRK.
The candidate shall submit the application for admission to the School only in IRK. It shall include:
- the application for admission to the School stating the discipline in which the candidate plans to pursue education or, if applying for admission to IDS – the disciplines and the leading scientific discipline (and if there is no leading discipline – disciplines). By submitting an application for admission to the Doctoral School is understood as submitting a completed and paid recruitment application via IRK. Submission of an application via the Online Registration of Candidates is tantamount to submitting an application for admission to the Doctoral School chosen by the candidate;
- scan of a diploma of completion of the long-cycle Master’s degree programme or second-cycle programme or an equivalent diploma obtained under separate regulations or –in the case of candidates pursuing education within the European Higher Education Areas –a declaration that the diploma or certificate of obtaining a Master’s degree shall be provided by 18 September 2020;
- a description of the initial research project proposal, which comprises no more than 14,000 characters including spaces; the description shall contain the bibliography that is not included in the character limit;
- a resumé or curriculum vitae containing information about scientific activities, including scientific interests and scientific achievements during five calendar years preceding the submission of the application;
- scans of materials confirming scientific activities referred to in the resumé or CV – no more than two complete scans of articles or chapters in joint publications, considered the most important; other candidate’s publications shall be confirmed with scans of title pages;
- declaration about the command of English to the extent enabling the education in the School;
- a scan of the declaration of the supervisor candidate about their willingness to be the candidate’s supervisor and the number of doctoral students, for whom them are appointed as the supervisor;
- one photograph of the candidate’s face, allowing their identification;
- declaration whether the candidate is or was a doctoral student or participant of doctoral studies, and if yes – title of doctoral dissertation or the research project prepared by the candidate, as well as first name and surname of the academic tutor or the supervisor;
- declaration on familiarising themselves with the content of the Resolution, as well as Article 40 and Article 41 of the Code of Administrative Procedure.
Evaluation criteria and method:
Research project (maximum number of points – 40)
When evaluating the project, the following shall be taken into account:
- definition of the research problem, e.g. objective, research questions, hypotheses (0-10 points);
- appropriateness of the proposed methods (0-10 points);
- setting the project in the context of existing research and knowledge of literaturę (0-10 points);
- originality of the proposed issues and methodology (0-10 points).
Scientific activity of the candidate (maximum number of points – 20)
When evaluating scientific activity, the following elements, confirmed with scans, shall be taken into account:
- active participation in scientific conferences, e.g. paper presentation, poster presentation (0-4 points);
- participation in research projects (0-5 points);
- scientific and popular science publications (0-6 points);
- science-related organisational activities, e.g. involvement in scientific associations, organisation of conferences (0-2 points);
- academic internships, scholarships, awards received in connection with scientific activities (0-3 points).
In the case of multi-author achievements, the percentage share of the candidate in the achievement must be defined.
Interview (maximum number of points – 40)
The following shall be taken into account when evaluating the interview:
- evaluation of the quality of the research project discussion (0-20 points);
- knowledge of the subject, substantive knowledge, linguistic correctness and the ability to use a scientific language appropriate for the discipline in which the education is to be provided (0-20 points).
Condition of admission to the School
Obtaining at least 50 points in the whole selection process, including at least 30 points in stage I and at least 20 points in stage II of the selection process.
The education lasts 4 years. It includes obligatory classes (no more than 300 hours in total during the whole period of education) and the implementation of an individual research program, carried out under the supervision of a supervisor. Beginning of education - October 1, 2020.
The doctoral student works under the direction of the supervisor. The supervisor's selection declaration should be submitted at the time of submitting recruitment documents.
On the Doctoral Schools website you will find a list of potential supervisors - https://szkolydoktorskie.uw.edu.pl/en/promotorzy
During the four years of study, each PhD student receives a scholarship in the amount of PLN 2371.70 for the first two years of studies (before the mid-term evaluation) and PLN 3653.70 in the next two years after the mid-term evaluation. Supplement for people with disabilities: PLN 711,51.