General information about recruitment
The main objective of the project is to determine virus distribution in carbonate-dominated temperature-, salinity- and mineralization-depended systems at various localities in Europe, the Bahamas and Qatar by comparing mineralized shapes of capsids, nanoparticles and nanospheroids and their relationship to particular groups of virus strains, which would establish virus-based environmental proxies characteristic of freshwater cold or hot-spring and normal or mesohaline marine carbonate settings.
A successful candidate will be employed to study virus metagenomics, in particular, viral strains and their classification focusing on the natural environment. In addition, a PhD candidate will participate in the fieldwork campaigns and is expected to attend and give presentations at international conferences.
Principal Investigator: dr inż. Mirosław Słowakiewicz; firstname.lastname@example.org
Conditions for the candidate
- MSc in Biogeochemistry, Microbiology, Chemistry or Geology
- strong background in biogeochemistry and/or microbiology
- experience in collection of sediment and water samples, work experience in the field, scanning and transmission electron microscopy, DNA and RNA extractions, culturing strains from water samples with particular focus on viral strains, working with biofilms, bioinformatics and/or sample preparation, would be useful
- excellent oral and written communication skills in English are assumed
- well-motivated and highly-qualified persons are invited
well-motivated and highly-qualified persons are invited
registration in the Internet Registration of Candidates, referred to as “IRK”, submitting an application to the IRK: 27 July – 23 August 2020
- qualification procedure: 26 August – 1 September 2020
announcement of the ranking list: 4 September
accepting documents from qualified candidates: 28 September
announcement of the list of accepted candidates: 30 September
Form of the selection procedure
Evaluation of the following elements shall be taken into account in the selection process:
1) letter of motivation documenting candidate’s interest in the project
2) scientific activity of the candidate based on a CV or resumé, documented with scans of materials attached to the application for admission to the School;
3) interview with the candidate
Language of the selection process, including the interview
The interview shall be carried out in Polish or English – in accordance with the candidate’s preferences presented in IRK. If the Polish language is selected, the interview may include parts in English.
The candidate shall submit the application for admission to the School only in IRK. It shall include:
1) the application for admission to the Doctoral School;
2) scan of a diploma of completion of the long-cycle Master’s degree programme or second-cycle programme or an equivalent diploma obtained under separate regulations or –in the case of candidates pursuing education within the European Higher Education Areas –a declaration that the diploma or certificate of obtaining a Master’s degree shall be provided by 28 September 2020, in the case of holding a diploma equivalent to the diploma of completion of the long-cycle Master’s degree programme or second-cycle programme, the candidate shall justify this equivalence;
3) letter of motivation documenting candidate’s interest in the project;
4) a resumé or curriculum vitae containing information about scientific activities, including scientific interests and scientific achievements during five calendar years preceding the submission of the application, subject to § 18 s. 5, in particular publications, research and organisational work in scientific associations, participation in scientific conferences, participation in research projects, awards, distinctions, research internships, completed training courses on research skills, science popularisation activities, activities in bodies representing scientific societies, professional career;
5) scans of materials confirming scientific activities referred to in the resumé or CV;
6) a document confirming the command of English at least at C1 level or declaration about the command of English to the extent enabling the education in the school;
7) a scan of the declaration of the supervisor candidate about their willingness to be the candidate’s supervisor and the number of doctoral students, for whom them are appointed as the supervisor, in accordance with the template determined by the Rector; additionally, the candidate can enclose a scan of the opinion of the supervisor candidate and opinions of other academic staff on the candidate and their scientific activities or the proposed research project;
8) one photograph of the candidate’s face, allowing their identification;
9) declaration whether the candidate is or was a doctoral student or participant of doctoral studies, and if yes – title of doctoral dissertation or the research project prepared by the candidate, as well as first name and surname of the academic tutor or the supervisor;
10) declaration on familiarising themselves with the content of the Resolution, as well as Article 40 and Article 41 of the Code of Administrative Procedure;
candidate's scientific achievements (50% of the final score)
achievements resulting from conducting scientific research, scholarships, awards and scientific experience gained in the country of origin and abroad, workshops and scientific training, participation in research projects (20% of the final score)
competence to carry out specific tasks in the research project (30% of the final score)
The education lasts 4 years. It includes obligatory classes (no more than 300 hours in total during the whole period of education) and the implementation of an individual research program, carried out under the supervision of a supervisor. Beginning of education - October 1, 2020.
The scholarship is PLN 4360 gross (for the duration of the research project). After its completion, PhD student receives a scholarship in the amount provided for in the general regulations.